Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween 2012

Halloween was EXTRA fun this year because GREAT Gma & Gpa came to visit.  When we planned out when to bless Luke, we realized that we wanted to do it the first weekend in November.  This meant we had the potential to have lots of visitors for Greg's work picnic the day before (on Saturday) and maybe even on Halloween (just a few days before).  My mom's parents, G-ma & G-pa, were the only ones who capatilized on Halloween and came out to Trick-or-Treat with the kiddos.

However, before I picked them up, I had to figure out what Greg and I were going to do (I already had the kids long done and since there was no family theme, we had to figure something out). After we dropped Jared off at preschool, Bellie, Luke and I found the perfect costumes.  It may have been a little last minute, but it worked out.

Between finding the costumes and the Trunk-or-Treat we spent the day enjoying the grandparents.

The time approached to get ready...

And then it was time for the big reveal:
Our Happy Halloween Family

Mike Wazowski (aka Luke):  Since I made Jared & Belle's first Halloween costumes, I had to keep up the tradition and do the same with Luke.  However, since I just had him two months ago (yay for being two months old), I didn't want to pressure myself into a time-consuming costume.  I knew Jared's would take a bit of time, so I didn't want to add more stress to a fun holiday.  ENTER the Mike Wazowski onesie.  I bought a green onesie and then appliqued & hand-sewed the eye and mouth on.  He had another costume done the same way, but it was way too warm of a night to put him in it.  I'm sure I'll post about it in the winter (when's he's big enough to wear it).

Snow White (aka Belle):  It's no surprise to anyone that our little princess LOVES princesses.  So, after being forced into theme costumes the past two years, she and Jared really really wanted to pick their own costumes.  She kept telling me she wanted to be Belle, Aurora or Rapuzel for Halloween.  When Mema came to visit a couple weeks before Halloween, she brought with her a Snow White dress.  Annabelle was sold the minute she saw it.  All I had to do was cut some red ribbon for her hair and she was done.

Shaun the Sheep (aka Jared):  One of Jared's favorite cartoon shows is {Shaun the Sheep}.  If you don't know what it is, look it up... hilarious.  I asked the kids what they wanted to be for Halloween about a month before Luke was done (just in case I had to get some ideas going), it was a good thing because the first and only thing out of Jared's mouth was Shaun.  So, we found a black turtleneck and pants and I made the fuzzy sheep fur and head.  He LOVED it.  When he tried it on a couple nights ago, he started running around and singing the song.  That reaction is one of the many reasons why I love to create.

Jem & Rio (aka Gregbo):  So, that left Greg and I.  Luckily, I have a WONDERFUL husband because this was all my idea.  When I was a little girl, I absolutely LOVED the show, {Jem & the Holograms}.  I had all the dolls and everything.  I may have even dressed up as Jem for Halloween when I was Jared's age (and by may, I mean did).  So, the whole Halloween season, I tried to tell Greg it would be fun to dress up like Jem and her boyfriend, Rio.  He would not go with it, until the last day (and maybe too much badgering from me).  So, I found my whole costume, Greg's AWESOME pants and tie at Spirit.  Then, we finished it off with some things around the house and TRULY OUTRAGEOUS 80s make-up.  It was so much fun; only one person the whole night knew who we actually were (a couple people thought I was Lady Gaga.... um.... no).  It was still a blast and I can't wait to wear them again.

We had a great time.  Our annual ward Trunk-or-Treat actually fell on Halloween this year, so, the plan was to do a little bit of both.

Greg and I were able to man the Trunk while Gma & Gpa took the big kids around the trunk block a couple of times. I had to sneak in the back of the van to feed Luke, so having the extra adults was really nice.  After they made the rounds, Jared helped hand out candy and then we headed back home.  Annabelle was so tired after the activity, she didn't want to do any more houses.  Jared lasted about a half-a-block before he and Greg came back home.  They counted their loot and then went off to bed, ready for more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin